Revamped Blog

I decided that I need a blog so that I can document an upcoming trip and some of the ridiculous things that happen in my life. I seem to have a lot of them. When I went to start a blog I stumbled across this old one that I had years ago and decided to just revamp it. Reading over some of these old posts gave me a giggle and brought back many memories. I hope you will enjoy reading about my old and new adventures!

Friday, September 29, 2017

3 Point Turn Mishaps

We woke up to fog and clouds today, but it was STEAMY hot! 22 degrees at 8am but felt like 30! After I convinced mom to get up, we broke camp and headed into Lunenburg. She picked a restaurant at random when we were walking by and we ate while looking at the Bluenose II. I expected her to be silver like she is on the dime but my expectations were not met.
Our waitress convinced the cook to let me have seafood chowder for breakfast. It was SO good! There was a HUGE mound of seafood covered in a thin cream soup. I expected it to be thick like the one yesterday but it was delightful anyways.
In the late morning we did some souvenier shopping and headed out to start the trip to Yarmouth. Along the way we managed to find a vineyard and went for a wine tasting. It wasn’t very good. The water in the area had a strong Manganese scent and I found that it translated to the wine as well. Mom got some Lavender hand lotion that she loves though, so that was good.
I was beginning to worry that I would not have anything interesting to blog about today.
I needn’t have worried.
About 45 minutes before our estimated arrival time in Yarmouth I decided that I should plug the campground name into the GPS just in case it was before the town and not after it. My GPS is a jerk. Remember back in November when she malfunctioned and Edward Cullen died? Ya… it happened again.
She took me down a goat trail. After about 10 minutes, I realized that there was a problem. Did I mention that we seemed to also be in the middle of a monsoon?
Me- I think we’re going the wrong way.
Mom- You’re good at turning the motorhome around. Just do a two point turn.
(I think they are called three point turns but mom thinks two. Who is right? I don’t know!)
So, I see a driveway around the bend and decide to execute a quick three point turn. It went well until the ground remembered that it was holding a monsoon worth of water and gave way beneath the rear driver side tire sliding me into the ditch. I rocked forward. I rocked backward. I was STUCK. I was also covering one complete lane of the road with a curve on either side.
I got out of the Motorhome, ripped at my hair in the pouring rain, laid across the seat and burst into tears.
I then stared at my phone wondering who to call. Michael seemed like the obvious choice to solve my problems but he would probably worry…
Melissa was at least in the same province. Once she stopped laughing she might be able to tell me who to call, but I had no idea where I was and she was two days away from her wedding and might have better things to do than rescue me from certain death.
So that left 911.
911 lady (Jill) (because it’s short and easy to type)- What’s your emergency?
Me-(totally calmly…) I’ve had an accident and am half in the ditch and half on the road.
Mom in the background- We were not in an accident, you just backed into the ditch.
Jill- Mam, where are you hurt?
Me- I’m not hurt.
Jill- Ok, then I need you to breath for me.
Mom then left the vehicle to flag down traffic on the highway so they would not hit us.
Me- I DON’T EVEN KNOW WHERE I AM!!!
Jill- It’s ok. We can tell through GPS.
GREAT...GPS got me into this mess and suddenly now it works?! (also...I might not understand GPS…)
Jill- Are you sure you aren’t hurt?
Me- I’m just scared.
Jill-What are you scared of?
Me- That my mom is going to die!
Jill- Is she hurt?
Me- No. She’s directing traffic.
Jill assured me that the police and tow truck were on their way and hung up.
I went and joined mom on the side of the road with our Dollar Store Umbrellas. They might have worked in Medicine Hat but were completely useless here. While I was calling Michael, mine flipped inside out and it was the beginning of the end for it. Eventually it was an L shaped tin stick with a nylon bowl on the end that I needed to dump every 30 seconds.
My first words to Michael were- I want to come home! Eventually we got to the place where he was assuring me that it would not cost $7000 to pull the RV out of the ditch. (I’m sorry for scaring you and everyone else at work, honey!)
The RCMP arrived and took over mom’s job. We were both soaked to the skin so they sent us to sit in the truck. When the wonderful tow-truck driver (Johnny) showed up, he was very comforting. He listened to me talk to the police officer and rolled his eyes a bit.
Me- Once the RV is out, would you be able to get me facing the right way?
Stern RCMP (Greg)- No. You need a special license for that.
Me- Um...no you don’t.
Greg- You absolutely do.
Me- You absolutely don’t, actually. There is no way that CanaDream would have rented to me and facilitated insurance if I needed a special license.
Greg- Um well...maybe this is a small one and you don’t need it then. It must be just for the big ones.
Me- Ya...that must be it…
Johnny- (finishes unhooking and walks over to truck) I’ll just drive you out then, Love, a’right?! There’s no use falling apart now! Pull yourself together.
(I may have hugged him against his will…)
He then checked out the undercarriage and assured us that all was well, told us where to get gas, and followed us all the way to the gas station. I love Nova Scotia.
I saw a really cute little black bunny. Unfortunately, he didn’t see me .May he rest in peace (pieces).

Melissa’s dad intends to park the RV for me tomorrow.

7 comments:

Jackie said...

I am so so glad you found the nicest people in NS to help you out. :)

Seafood chowder with a thin broth can be amazing!! I still dream about one I ate 7 years ago......

Unknown said...

Oh Tina!!! I read that post out loud to my mom and she was literally crying she laughed so hard!

It is definitely a 3-point turn.

You may not understand GPS ��

And I've said a prayer for the little black bunny. May he rest in peace. ��
������

Jackie said...

*pieces

Michael said...

If it cost 7000 to pull the rv out...consider it purchased and just drive it home.

Tina Sauers said...

You are all my favorites

Unknown said...

I am just LOVING reading all about your adventures!!! Needed a good chuckle today - only you Tina!!

Andrea thomson said...

I just laughed so hard!! There are tears in eyes, i can hardly write this! With every line of your conversation it just gets funnier and funnier. Please come home in 1 piece so you can tell this story on repeat to your clients at work! I can't wait! 😂